Friday, January 20, 2006

Book Review: The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers


Early holidays. My reading list was still thick and I was still on a no-buying policy when it came to books. Then one day dad went to Borders. ^^ And then I found this.

You won't find a proper synopsis at the back of the book, but I took a chance. This is what was promised at the back: a wide range of characters stuck in royally messed up situations. These include a literature analyst, a sorcerer, a hideously deformed clown, a body-switching werewolf, a girl dressed up as a guy, and a brainwashed British lord who is also a poet. Oh, and did I mention that this book involves time travel?

Apparently word goes around that as far as time-travel related novels go, this one is one of the best And after reading it, I can see why. It has the sense of wit, adventure, and a large array of things that don't make sense, but come together just cleanly at the end, leaving you going 'Oh!' Not in an errotic sense >< I think too much. So anyway, the main character, the literature guy is offered a chance to go back in time to see this poet he's researching for his book, in exchange for him briefing and explaining the situation to a bunch of other rich guys who are paying his benefactor to go back and witness the event. They arrive, they witness the event, but just as the others are leaving, the main character gets left behind in 18th century England with no money, no connections, and no place to go.

And then there's the fact that some Egyptian guy seems intent on learning the secret of time travel from him, which he knows nothing of- not that the Egyptian guy cares. It's all in the torturing anyway. So yeah, one royally messed up situation leading to another, there's rarely a dull moment in this book. It's like a kind of adventure that Indiana Jones would kill to be a part of.

The romance isn't so well developed as the other parts of the book, but hey, who cares? (Not me, that's for sure). Keep me excited and up till wee hours of the morning, turning pages and I'm happy. More than happy, even. I'm hooked. I used to only take interest in Greecian and Roman deities, but lately I've been checking up on Ancient Egyptian culture too. ^^ Woot!

Ah, and for anyone interested in writing scenes involving sword-fights, pay close attention: The final scene of this book pulls off a very good sword fight, which isn't draggy nor is it dull. And just whoa, I'll say it's one of the best face-offs I've read in a book.

I won't rant more. I'll just say it's good, and leave it here with 9 out of 10.

No comments: