Friday, March 10, 2006

Book Review: The Wind Singer

This is the first book in a trilogy that chronicles the lives and adventures of a trio of children belonging to a tribe of people called the Manths. These people live in a city called Aramanth where exams are everything. Failure to pass an exam carries with it a heavy sentence of being demoted of your privileges, should you acquire them. It's all terribly depressing, and deeply unfair, as Kestrel points out rather er, subtly in the town square.

Ultimately, her defiance to the system led her to carry the responsibility of loosening the grip an evil entity called the Morah on the city. She has to go on a journey unlike any other, endure the deserts and "walk through the fire" to gain the Singer's Voice, or whatever it was called. Then, and only then will her people be free, hence enabling them to "seek the homeland".

Needless to say, this is all boring. I read through the book with a half-heart, not really wanting to know what happens next. One of the few things that made me read on was Kestrel's relationship to her twin brother, Bowman - their love for each other, although somewhat well, nauseating, was real. Also, their father's attempt at a quiet mutiny by convincing his fellow "failures" to do their best at what they know, as opposed to attempting to be an all-rounder.

All right, Whatever. By the end of the book I felt slightly cheated, even if I grew to love the Hath family, Kestrel and Bowman, especially. That's the only saving grace for this book: the characters. The plot and everything else just felt half-baked.

Pick this one up at your own risk.

4 out of 10

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

google.co.uk, ask.com, facebook.co.uk,

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why it came across as boring and all that. I thought it was really interesting. Most people dislike the book's questionable/ unanswered plot, but that's what makes it better, in my opinion. But yes, I do agree that the relationship between the Hath twins is very.. unnatural, but did make me wants to read on- only, nearly all the plot lines made me want to read on, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of guy who loves to try recent things. Presently I'm building my own photovoltaic panels. I am making it all alone without the aid of my staff. I am utilizing the net as the only way to acheive this. I stumbled upon a truly amazing site that explains how to build solar panels and so on. The place explains all the steps required to solar panel construction.

I'm not exactly sure bout how precise the info given there is. If some guys over here who have xp with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the page it will be grand and I would highly appreciate it, because I really take an interest in solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. U people rock.